|By goGreen | August 6, 2011|
Known by the common name Guduchi, Panyawan is an herbaceous vine of the family Menispermaceae indigenous to the tropical areas of India,Myanmar and Sri Lanka.
It is a climbing shrub typically growing in deciduous and dry forests, leaves are heart shaped, succulent bark is creamy white to grey in color, with deep clefts spotted with lenticels and puts out long, slender aerial roots. It is often growing on mango or neem trees. Flowers are yellow, growing in lax racemes from nodes on old wood. Fruits are drupes, turning red when ripe.
- Tinospora cordifolia (Latin)
- Menispermum cordifolium (Latin, obs.) Menispermum glabrum (Latin, obs.)
- Cocculus cordifolius (Latin, obs.)
- Guruchi, Gulanch (Hind.)
- Amrita-valli Giloe (Hindi)
- Amrit, Amrita (Sanskrit)
- Gulancha (Bengali)
- Gado, Galo (Gujarati)
- Teppatige (Telgu)
- Heartleaf Moonseed (English)
- Indian Tinospora, Boraphet (Thailand)
- Makabuhay (Tagalog)
- Paliaban (Bisaya)
- Pañgiauban (Bisaya)
- Taganagtagua (Philippines)
- Putrawali (Indonesia)
stem and roots
- Fresh juice of guduchi, when mixed with rock candy, speeds up the recovery in hepatitis patients.
- It helps in remedying ailments like raktapitta, anemia, cardiac debility, diabetes, sexual debility and splenic disorders.
- The starch of the plant serves as a household remedy for chronic fever, relieves burning sensation and increases energy and appetite.
- The decoction of guduchi, mixed with nimba and vasa, eases the itching and oozing.
- It benefits general weakness, dyspepsia, impotency, dysentery, secondary syphilis, tuberculosis, jaundice, constipation, leprosy, general debility, cutaneous rashes and condylomata.
- Guduchi helps in getting rid of renal caliculi and reduces blood urea level.
- The decoction of guduchi and sunthi is a good combination for treating gout and rheumatic disorders.
- Guduchi juice, when taken with cow’s milk or lodhra, is effective in combating leucorrhea.
- The juice is mixed with cumin seeds and consumed to reduce the burning sensation caused due to pitta.
- The root of guduchi is a strong emetic and used for bowel obstruction.
Diabetic patients are advised to use guduchi with caution, since it can lower blood sugar levels. In case you are about to undergo a surgery, stop consuming guduchi two weeks beforehand, since it can interfere with blood sugar control during the surgery. It is better to avoid guduchi during pregnancy and breastfeeding.