|By goGreen | September 21, 2011|
Sweet potato jam
- 14 medium sized sweet potato tubers
- 8 1/2 mugs brown sugar
- Juice from 9 limes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peeled, finely chopped, fresh ginger
For firm ingredients you might want to use the INPhO weight calculator. For liquid ingredients the volume table could be useful.
- Sharp knife
- Wooden spoon
- 2 large saucepans
- Mixing bowl
- Potato masher
- Jam jars
- Wash, peel and chop the sweet potato tubers into small chunks.
- Boil the potato chunks until soft.
- Drain off the water and mash the potato tubers.
- Press the mashed potato through a sieve to form a puree.
- Place the puree in a saucepan and add the brown sugar.
- Slowly heat the mixture (stirring continuously) until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the lime juice and mix well.
- Add the fresh ginger and mix well.
- Boil the mixture until it is very hot, stirring all the time.
- Transfer the hot mixture into sterilised jam jars.
- Half close the lids of the jam jars and place in a saucepan of boiling water. The water in the saucepan should come half way up the side of the jam jar).
- Place a lid on the saucepan and boil the contents for 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove the jars from the boiling water and close the lids very tightly.
- Invert the jam jars and make sure that the jam touches the inside surface of the lid. After 1 – 2 minutes return jam jars to upright position.
- Wipe the outside of the jam jars with a clean cloth.
- Allow the jars to cool before labeling with the name of the product and date of manufacture.